Thursday, October 21, 2010

Superman #300: "Superman 2001!"


Download Superman #300




In keeping with the superhero genre I'm currently focusing on, here is a good one from 1976 celebrating Superman's 300th issue. Basically, this issue asks the question, what if Superman arrived on Earth in '76 and was acquired by the United States with a jealous Soviet Union looking forlorn? This anniversary issue was written by Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin and drawn by Curt Swan (natch!) and Bob Oksner.

To many longtime readers, Curt Swan was the artist on Superman. He drew the Man of Steel for close to forty years, developing a style that was attractive and seemed highly suitable for depicting the residents of Metropolis.




















2 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

What a great story. I love the vision of New York in 2001! and what fantastic artwork! I still like Swan's Superman the best! I downloaded this little beauty, so thanks a ton for that feature.

The Old Warrior said...

You're very welcome, Mykal, and I thank you as you inspired me to insert that second paragraph up there about Curt Swan.

I have read that Swan was a staff artist on Stars & Stripes during World War II and, after the war, he signed on with DC and remained there from then on.

What an amazing talent he was!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...