Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Space: 1999 #1: "Moonless Night"


Download Space: 1999 #1





When it comes to Science Fiction, I cut my eyeteeth on Robert A. Heinlein novels, Star Trek reruns (including the underrated novelized adaptations by James Blish) and comic books. However, when Space: 1999 hit the airwaves back in the 1970s, I watched every episode I could with rapt attention. After all, I was planning on still being alive in 1999 so this could affect me, or so I dreamed as a kid. We should have had a pioneering base on the moon by 1999 and our space program is woefully behind what 2001: A Space Odyssey predicted, but that's Congress and budget cuts at NASA for you. Space: 1999's second season would go on to be hated by hardcore science fiction fans as they apparently decided to go with B-movie monster schlock instead of hard science, but one good season is better than none at all.

The art quality went up and down in the magazine as the first two issues were drawn by Joe Staton, John Byrne issues #3-6, and Pat Boyette book-ended the final issue in #7. The very talented Nicola Cuti, who won last year's Inkpot Award, wrote issues #1-#5, John Byrne wrote #6 and Mike Pellowski wrote #7. While I prefer Byrne's art for the most part, I must say that Joe Staton provided the best-looking cover painting with issue #1 and I think this first issue is mostly given the short shrift due to Byrne's name in later issues. Enough reminiscing, please enjoy!



Credits:

Script: Nicola Cuti
Pencils and inks: Joe Staton
Colors: Wendy Fiore


























Special surprise bonus download: Starlog #2
Cover story featuring Space: 1999

Download Starlog #2

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...